Sunday 7 July 2013

Tandem Paramotoring

For weeks, I've been on a hunt for the perfect gift for someone who values life experiences more than material items. That's when I stumbled upon tandem paramotoring. For those who are unfamiliar on what paramotoring is, as I was before this, it's basically flying on a powered paraglider powered by a motor made of a basic metal frame with a propeller, harness with a seat and a parachute and looks like this.



I find paramotoring more thrilling (and cheaper too) than buying an experience of flying a plane for half an hour, which I have also bought before this, as there's no glass barrier between you and the view from above. You could basically see 360 degrees and feel the wind in your face.

Air Venture Sports Aviation seems to focus mainly on garnering students interested in their training programs to ultimately achieving the PPG1 license enabling them to fly solo.

Trying my luck, I called and sent an email request to James Gibbs, the Head Instructor of Air Venture and I was ecstatic when he told me that it would only cost me RM150 for a session of tandem paramotoring for 30 minutes flight time. I didn't even need to purchase any coupon, it's all on a cash basis. I just had to call/email him when I'm dropping by and just be there.

 So on one fateful Saturday afternoon, we set off to Pulau Indah, West Port, Klang, which is normally the training ground used for paramotoring in the Klang Valley. With heightened confidence, as we had the GPS coordinates, we ended up getting lost for an hour, circling around the west port in Klang, driving into small single-lane Kampung roads, and meeting many dead-ends. I must warn you, that this place is not easy to find. Don't trust the GPS coordinates as the roads may have changed and may lead you to a dead-end.

Almost giving up searching for this place, we called James as a last resort and with his guidance and the map he sent us (which we should've used earlier rather than relying on GPS coordinates), we reached our destination, after what seemed like eternity. The dirt road leading to the place is bumpy and may seem dodgy, but just keep driving and you'll see a wide space of land with a big tree in the middle and soaring paramotors in the sky.

Experienced paramotor-ers chilling under the tree

As soon as we parked, we met James himself and was introduced to Awang, his assistant that day. Awang was a local staying nearby who was a student of James and has worked with James for quite a while now.  James has a warm and friendly personality and was very welcoming.


Awang, briefing us on the basics while James was occupied in the background teaching two students 

Awang working the parachutes before bringing the boy up, up above

Initially I did not plan on experiencing tandem paramotoring as it was a gift for the Boy, and to be honest, I have a fear of heights, my legs get wobbly and my vision gets woozy just from standing from a 55th floor building balcony, looking downwards . But after much convincing from him that the view was spectacular and that James, the Head Instructor himself would personally bring me up, in no time, I was also strapped in.


Getting ready to fly 
Strapped in and ready to go with James by my side

As soon he started the motor and the fan started running, we took off for the horizon and flew towards the setting sun.







In no time, we were just a speck of dust in the evening sky.



Up there, we were even allowed to steer the direction of the paramotor. We ventured so far off till we were  above the sea and all that we could see was the setting sun. It is definitely an experience I would never forget. 





Nitty-gritty details:
Name: Air Venture Sdn Bhd
E-mail: james@airventure.biz
Website: www.airventure.biz
Place: Pulau Indah, West Port, Klang (map below)
Opening hours: Contact Air Venture for available hours
Contact: +6012 290 8358
Directions:



No comments:

Post a Comment